Thursday, May 8, 2014

Game Prop Metal Barrel Workflow

My last prop was a variant of the Wooden Barrel Prop. After looking at the images in my workflow, I noticed that one of the barrels in Maya looked like it could be used for a metal barrel. I decided to alter it's shape a bit and give it and overhang on the top and the bottom, along with two small humps in the middle of it to make it look more like a metal barrel as opposed to a wooden one. There wasn't much editing to do here, except for touching up some extrusions in the lid areas.

I searched CG textures for a metal barrel texture and found a great one right away. I cartooned them, but I hated the colors that were coming out from them. I spent a lot of time tweaking the contrast, color values and hue until I found something I really liked. I put the textures together in the same manner I did for the wooden barrel and applied it to the Maya object.

This time, in crazy bump, instead of using the cartoon texture, I used the original texture file to get more subtle indents and what not onto the barrel. After putting everything together, I decided to smooth it so that way the overhang had more of a natural look rather than sticking out sharply.




No comments:

Post a Comment